I Saw Hell Once

I saw hell once, once upon a  time.

I died once, once upon a time.

But I came back once, once upon a long time.

They asked me what it was like;

If Satan was really a malevolent creature who seduced the susceptible mind into sin and fabrication of mendacity.

Or if the fire of hell really burned brighter than the iris of a Phoenix risen and created from flames.

They asked me about everything; from iniquitously deceiving crossroads to nefarious damsels.

So I told them.

I told them how it was like a big black blanket covered the expanse above, twisting and turning, letting the tiniest bit of light through the rips.

Except instead of shiny constellations filling the blank canvas like up here on the green meadow grass, a red glow illuminated the cavern, like the sun had chosen to bless the infamous perdition.

Too close. The sun was too close.

I could feel the heat on my flesh, burning it to cheap rubble, the fire boiling my blood until all I could hear was the silent shriek that echoed through every bone.

Except I couldn’t.

I couldn’t feel anything other then the monsters clawing at my flesh, ripping it to shreds. I couldn’t do anything other then analysis how the sharp protrusions perforate through the heavy air that hung around, carrying the distressed wails of other victims being ripped apart by the seams.

I analysed how deep they tore layers after layer, until they found the treasure, the vital organs beating and pumping and working profusely  to keep me going, they were searching for in every single one of the quarry’s that were unfortunate enough to land into their greedy arms.

The demonic beings pierced through my heart with the sharpness of their ebony black claws, claws that matched well with their nebulous eyes, eyes that hungrily devoured light in the pools of intense ink.

They quenched their decade-old thirst with my blood that now dripped from every pore. I can say that blood has never been thinner then when it’s flowing generously from the anatomy, draining the body of its fuel, of its human equivalent of ichor.

They asked how it was to die once, once upon a time.

They asked what it was like to see hell once, once upon a time.

They asked what it was like to come back once, once upon a time.

I tell them that it isn’t much different.

Sure I came back from hell once, once upon a time,

But only to live in a more atrocious one.

2 thoughts on “I Saw Hell Once